raw salted caramel bars

This is a potential new favourite - and get this: completely chocolate free. I didn't think is was possible to have a favourite food that does no contain chocolate. I did deliberate topping these salted caramel bars with chocolate, but thankfully decided against it. And with all this chocolate Valentine's Day stuff EVERYWHERE, it's like a holiday for your tastebuds. If they could go on holidays.

The other plus is that these bars are completely raw, no bake, and soy free. Just all natural ingredients and the health benefits they bring, with no nasties, no stomach aftershock.

I used medjool dates to sweeten these instead of rice malt syrup or honey - they make a nice change as they have their own set of health credentials. High in fibre, a source of iron, potassium, calcium, copper and magnesium to name a few. They give a nice flavour, perfect for these caramel bars.
 

I know having to wait for the cashews and dates to soak is SUCH an annoyance, but it makes the filling a whole lot creamier and it's worth it. Just soak them in the morning so by midday, you're good to go.

raw salted caramel bars (gluten+dairy+egg+soy+refined sugar free+vegan)
makes 12-16 bars

ingredients:

crust:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 medjool dates
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil

filling:
- 11 medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 4 hours
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut etc)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

method:

For the crust, place almonds and walnut into a large food processor and pulse, until the nuts form a chunky flour:


Add in the coconut and salt and pulse, until combined.

Add the medjool dates and pulse until the dates are incorporated.

Add 1 tablespoon of the melted coconut oil  and pulse until the crust comes together. If it's still a little crumbly, add another tablespoon of melted coconut oil.

Press the crust into a 8 x 8 brownie tin, lined with non-stick baking paper. Place in the fridge while you make the filling.

Rinse out the food processor, as you will need it for the filling.

Drain and rinse the cashews with water and add to the large food processor. Drain the dates and add to the processor, along with the nut butter, coconut milk, vanilla extract and salt. Process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides occasionally - may take a couple of minutes.


Finally, add the melted coconut oil and process until incorporated.


Ignore the suspicious fingerprint in the mixture. Note: do not try and taste test while food processor is still running...

Spread filling over the crust and chill for a couple of hours, until set.

Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

These are so easy to make, ready and easily accessible when you need something sweet.

 


Happy post Valentine's Day! Your tastebuds can thank me later.

mel

2 comments:

  1. Seeing your instagram site last week led me to your blog. Having a sweet tooth has been difficult because sugar (other than the natural sugar in fruit) makes me really sick. I suffer from Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, so my diet is pretty much dessert-free. Always on the lookout for sugar-free desserts, I was ecstatic to find your Raw Salted Caramel Bar recipe!

    This weekend I made the recipe and fell in love with the taste. So delicious! My family is begging me to make it again. I was going to thank you and ask a brief question via instagram, but since my last instagram app update, I can no longer post comments on other people's pages. Hopefully with the next update this issue will be remedied, but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated this recipe.

    My one query: Did you have trouble with the filling setting completely? Though it was in the refrigerator overnight, mine seems to fall apart and doesn't look as neat as your photos. Do you have any ideas why that could be? I tried to be very exact with my ingredient measurements.

    Again thanks so much! My instagram account is @themindtraveler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thank you so much for your comment, I'm so glad you guys like the bars! I'm the same as you, a complete sweet tooth and it's so hard to find recipes not loaded with sugars. I can't imagine a dessert free existence! In answer to your query, I haven't had any trouble with my bars not setting, but next time maybe try reducing the amount of coconut milk, and add an extra 1/2 cup of cashews and see how it goes. You could even add some extra coconut oil, as this solidifies when it's cool so hopefully will make the bars a bit firmer. Let me know how it goes, thanks again for your lovely comment! Mel x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...